Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Golf anyone?

The kids playing while I shop for art.
A few items I purchased.

I was very excited to see that there was going to be an art show in town, there would be about 20 of the regions art centers that would be represented there.  Throughout the outback you will find art centers where the artists from that area go to complete their projects.  Each center appears to have a distinctive style when it comes to Aboriginal art.  I could not believe the amount of art I was able to look through!  There was one table that really caught my eye, the art center was from the Santa Teresa area, about an hour out of Alice Springs - of all the styles of artwork I have seen to date this seems to be what I am most attracted to.  The bowl and small plate represent artwork from this area and now that I know where to go, I think we will pay a visit to the gallery in Santa Teresa!

Jessie's Gap

Climbing up the rocks.





After the art show we headed to Jessie’s Gap for a picnic with friends.  A beautiful day for a picnic but I honestly believe there is a direct correlation between the distance away from Alice and the amount of flies around. Now that the boys have become true “outback” kids, being outside means climbing as high as you can on the rocks until your mother can no longer take it and yells for you to come down, and be careful!


Team Doc in the Box and are winning buggys.

The costumes for the tournament were hilarious!
One of the best things I have done since arriving here was the golf day on Friday, I was lucky enough to be asked to play with an amazing group of ladies.  Please keep in mind when I say golf tournament I really mean drinking, laughing and hitting the ball a few times.  The buggy was decorated to represent team "Docs in the Box" and I am happy to report we won for most creative decorations. We played the front nine which was perfect  because one of our group lives between holes 3 and 4.  We very smartly used our arrival on that hole as an opportunity for a bathroom break, a quick picnic and one or two tequila shots.  Another hole had a group of men with shots and a dartboard, if you missed the board you had to do a shot, if you hit the board the number you landed on decided what club to use for the tee off – I think we had to use the putter!  If all the shots were not bad enough, the drink cart made its rounds offering free beer and vodka cruisers.  JD was pleasantly surprised at our condition upon his arrival at the golf club, I am pretty sure the fireman’s sausage sizzle is what helped to soak up the tequila!  All money raised for this event went to a local charity that helps Alice Springs families with cancer – we were happy to help!
This would be after the tequila.
Saturday night was a picnic event for families; they had a bounce house and swings for the 30 plus kids that were there.  I think the boys would say that the highlight of the evening would be watching a movie outside under the stars but for me it was the visit from Rex the snake guy.  Rex shows up at various events and talks with everyone about the snakes and reptiles in the area.  I guess now that I have seen Rex about 6 times I put my “brave badge” on this time and I held a snake – yes you read that correctly – I had a giant boa constrictor wrapped around my neck.  Just so that you know I have not completely flipped my lid, Rex was right next to me holding the other half – just in case I had a freak out.  In the outback for 8 months and I held a snake, let’s just say I am proud of myself!
Rex and I, and that big snake!


No comments:

Post a Comment