Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pool, School and Wine




Another hot week but this time we ventured to the town pool, it has been completely remodeled.  I was surprised at the size; it consists of 2 outdoor pools and 2 indoor pools.  There are 2 waterslides and a lazy circle, they call it a lazy river but I definitely think of it as more of a circle – obviously they have never been too Texas!  Funny thing is with all those pools, there are no loungers – apparently people do not just lie out in the sun and relax, something about this being the skin cancer capital of the world!!!  Most of the pools actually have shade sails over parts of them.
Our big news this week, we purchased our “not so new” car, we decided on a used Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 x 4 – small enough that I can hopefully park it at the grocery store but big enough to go off roading in the outback.  The season for going “out bush” is March to November, which is what we are really looking forward to.
Notice the bull bar on the front - just in case we hit a kangaroo!

Most of the week was spent getting the kids ready for school - appraisals, book packs and school uniforms.  In Australia, for some crazy reason you cover all the notebooks and books from the book pack in contact paper – yes, you read that correctly – contact paper.  I spent about 5 hours cursing, cutting and crinkling (not on purpose) roll after roll of this stuff – I certainly hope all the boy’s classmates appreciate the lack of bubbles in their contact paper covered books!!!

We are trying to take in as much Australian culture as we can, and we decided to start with Australian wines, we have discovered 2 that we like very much.  The first is St. Hallet, Garden of Eden Shiraz – we have been told that all the wines from this vineyard are quite good.  We shared this wine while dining with friends at Hanuman, the Thai food restaurant in the Crowne Plaza.  Another wine we have enjoyed is Wyndham Estate Bin 555 Shiraz, this one is a local favorite.  We are looking forward to discovering many more wines over the next few years.
I have also signed up for an Australian itunes account, I am really looking forward to learning about Australian artists.  One that I heard on the morning news show that I liked is Busby Marou – you will have to let me know what you think.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHHyKw-r8cs

3 comments:

  1. I Like it! How funny the song is called Biding My Time here!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. When listening to Busby Marou I felt a need to toss some coins into their tin cup. Not the '50s sound, but not bad.
    I will definitely try the wines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your wine selections. We will have to see if we can get them here. I just found out about Matt Nathanson while watching Rachle Ray. Anyway, ITunes sug. that I like an Australian singer. I will have to get you her name. Love Stacey's comment, too funny!

    ReplyDelete